Wednesday, June 22, 2011

16. Pinoy, Gay and Illegal

From Washingtonian


A triple whammy, if one were to ask.


His story tells us of how much it takes---courage, hard work, persistence, support of family and friends, luck and God only knows what else.
----------------------------------------
My Life as an Undocumented Immigrant


Jose Antonio Vargas is a former reporter for The Washington Post and shared a Pulitzer Prize for coverage of the Virginia Tech shootings. He founded Define American, which seeks to change the conversation on immigration reform



"....Later that school year, my history class watched a documentary on Harvey Milk, the openly gay San Francisco city official who was assassinated. This was 1999, just six months after Matthew Shepard’s body was found tied to a fence in Wyoming. During the discussion, I raised my hand and said something like: “I’m sorry Harvey Milk got killed for being gay. . . . I’ve been meaning to say this. . . . I’m gay.”


I hadn’t planned on coming out that morning, though I had known that I was gay for several years. With that announcement, I became the only openly gay student at school, and it caused turmoil with my grandparents. Lolo kicked me out of the house for a few weeks. Though we eventually reconciled, I had disappointed him on two fronts. First, as a Catholic, he considered homosexuality a sin and was embarrassed about having “ang apo na bakla” (“a grandson who is gay”). Even worse, I was making matters more difficult for myself, he said. I needed to marry an American woman in order to gain a green card.


Tough as it was, coming out about being gay seemed less daunting than coming out about my legal status. I kept my other secret mostly hidden."

Continued in the New York Times article "My Life..."





No comments:

Post a Comment