Thursday, May 10, 2012

Good Endings (2)

I'm no American lover. But it is undisputed: The United States is at the head of its game--- power, economy, technology, culture, music, art and trend.

It is opening doors again---maybe for good or ill. It is not the first country to recognize same sex unions. But it the first country---that matters---which has taken on this potentially divisive issue. The Bill of Rights, women's liberation, racial equality and now, and hopefully, a magna carta for the marginalized lovers.

Please, please engage your constituents. Stir the debates and consciousnesses. Please vote to break the oppressive rules, to cross and to erase exclusionary boundaries and to tear down the Berlin Walls that hem us all in the dark ages.





"President Barack Obama said Wednesday he supports same-sex marriage, raising the political stakes on an issue over which Americans are evenly split.
The announcement was the first by a sitting president and put Obama squarely at odds with presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney, who on Wednesday said during an appearance in Oklahoma, "I believe marriage is a relationship between a man and a woman."
Obama said in an interview with ABC News, "At a certain point I've just concluded that for me, personally, it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married."
Obama once opposed such marriages. He later indicated his views were "evolving."
"I had hesitated on gay marriage, in part, because I thought civil unions would be sufficient," the president said. "I was sensitive to the fact that -- for a lot of people -- that the word marriage is something that provokes very powerful traditions and religious beliefs." (CNN)

No comments:

Post a Comment